- I figured out how to customize a "skin" for an embedded chat widget. Here's what I made (with school colors!):
- I learned how to save said widget for future use. This was, for me, more complicated than it probably needed to be.
- I was stumped with how to practice the code, since I don't have access to any web servers. Thankfully, a library school friend responded to my Twitter/Facebook plea for help by pointing out that I could save the html document on my local computer, then just open it with a browser to see how it looks. Brilliant!
- At that point, I generated the document, but only got the html "Chat is offline" message, and was thinking, "But I'm signed in! A librarian is available! What's wrong?" Due to this conundrum, I also finally learned that
- You have to sign into the webchat client to be online as a librarian--not just the administrative functions. I now have a better understanding of the different "faces" of Library H3lp.
I'm meeting with some of the other librarians later this week; hopefully what I've learned so far will help convince them of the feasibility of this service!