Saturday, September 8, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle

My favorite author, Madeleine L'Engle, died on Thursday, September 6, 2007. You can read more information about Madeleine at her official website, http://www.madeleinelengle.com/.

I loved her books because she seamlessly wove the "real world" and the wider spiritual world, because Christianity and science were not contradictory to her, because her characters seemed to share both my background and my fears/hopes, because God was obviously present to her in her writing, and because Madeleine herself seemed so real and human.

Some of my favorites among her books (I am purposefully not listing A Wrinkle in Time because, although I loved it too, it was not one I reread for "comfort reading," and everyone knows it anyway:

Many Waters
A Ring of Endless Light
A House Like a Lotus
Meet the Austins
The Moon By Night
The Arm of the Starfish

Some that I read for the first time this summer, and loved:

Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art
A Circle of Quiet
The Summer of the Great-Grandmother
Certain Women

If you have not yet read any of her books, do!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Thanks for posting this. I loved her books too, and spent many hours with this "comfort reading." (I have four of her adult books on my bookshelf but had put off reading them - but I am moving them up to the top of my reading list now!)