- How to darn a sock.
- How to hide collard greens in a variety of dishes: lasagna, tacos, stir-fry. For Thanksgiving, Mark actually learned how to cook them in such a way that they are palatable on their own, but I think I'll need another spring/summer of CSA produce before I can say I've learned to "like" collards.
- How to make gnocchi.
- Baking really is worth the time invested.
- The only way not to burn the bottoms of cookies in my oven is to put the top rack on the VERY top and bake them there.
- My house is never going to be completely clean. I still have to keep trying, but I need to accept this fact.
- Doing one or two loads of laundry every couple of days is more likely to keep the laundry mountain at bay than trying to do it all once a week. This also keeps bibs with baby food from developing mildew.
- Washing diapers twice a week is better because you can talk yourself out of washing the covers by hand more often.
- Every baby is different.
- If your first child sleeps like a champ, don't expect the same with the second child!
- The Durham County Public Library is awesome. So is the Durham Life and Science Museum and the free indoor playground at Southpoint Mall.
- Checking out a book you didn't plan on is just as satisfying as buying a book you didn't plan to, and a lot cheaper!
- Staying home with my kids is super fun and should be taken advantage of whenever possible!
The year-round school
3 days ago